HOME

Monday, May 2, 2011

WE KNOW THEY ARE OUT THERE

We know they are out there. . . other teens, I mean. But it seems so hard to find kids this age who don't go to school.
Where are they?


I have my suspicions. 
Many parents are freaked out about college, and academics are at the forefront of their minds. Schoolwork and classes keep many teens too busy to connect. 


"They have classes and go to co-op and see their friends there", parents defend.


Yes they do "see" their friends. But think about it, when is the last time you had quality time with friends during a class or a half hour lunchtime ?


Ask the teens. 
They *want* to see others, and on a regular basis too. Ask teens what their biggest complaint about homeschooling or unschooling is. Most times it's not seeing kids their age more.


Teens need to be out with others whenever they can. We live in a community of people. Real live life lessons are being learned everyday being with others; lessons that cannot be learned from books.


My daughter wanted a scheduled day each week when teens could gather. A group of teens.
We started a Teen Connection at our house for boys and girls, 13 and up. No structure, no agenda, just show up and decide what to do and say. 


One child told her mom that perhaps I should organize an ice breaker game in the beginning. My daughter said no, she didn't want me directly involved.  She felt kids will get comfortable in their own way. I honored her request and I do see that IS exactly what is happening.
The teens bring snacks to share and sometimes a game. They go inside and outside, whatever they feel like doing. Some are talkative, others are quiet observers.


Right now it is held in the afternoon, 3-4 hours, and as the weather gets warmer it might be held in the evenings as well.


I don't even need to ask the teens if they like it, they keep coming back!



2 comments:

  1. This is so great, Marcia, and I'm very glad you are having such success. I've been trying for a year now (over at http://www.maineunschoolingnetwork.blogspot.com) to get teens together, but that saying about herding cats comes to mind. I'd be happy to host here, but can't get everyone in our rural state to agree to the drive. ::sigh:: I agree completely with you, however. I will keep trying! I wish you continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter LOVES it!!! She can't wait to go, the kids are awesome and she feels she fits right in. The best choice we have made thanks so much !!!!!!!!!! Lisa and Paige

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. I would love to hear what you have to say. happy day!